There are more than 400,000 people living with Down syndrome in the United States.
10% of Americans have a family member with some sort of intellectual disability.
The lifetime cost of caring for just one individual with autism can be as high as $2.4 million.
A Special Needs Trust (also called a Supplemental Needs Trust) is a way to provide financial security for your child with special needs, and help ensure a better quality of life. The trust consists of investments that provides detailed instructions for the care of your child who may not be able to support themself.
Why you need a special needs trust plan
A Special Needs Trust plan enables a person with a physical or mental disability to have an unlimited amount of assets, as long as they are held in Trust and used appropriately for his or her benefit. This is important because Special Needs Trust funds are not counted for the purposes of qualifying for certain government benefits – benefits that, if lost, would be financially devastating to the individual living with a disability.
Why you need a special needs trust attorney to help you with the plan
The trust must be properly drafted and administered by a special needs trust attorney in order for it to qualify as non-countable. The following are some of the issues and factors that need to be assessed and analyzed prior to the drafting of a special needs trust:
- The age of the beneficiary
- Nature of the disability and its anticipated duration
- Functional abilities and limitations of the beneficiary:
- Can he/she look after their own hygiene,
- Can he/she cook and clean,
- Can he/she handle their own finances
- Can he/she live by themselves
- Can he/she participate in decisions to be made
- Is he/she employed, duration of employment and current salary
- Level of Education
- Has he/she received any special training to be employable
- Current living arranges and needs for the future
- Any government benefits received by the beneficiary
- Anticipated future needs of the beneficiary
- Financial resources available
Contact our lawyers in Plano to find out how we can help you with our special needs trust planning services.
Legal Options for a Special Needs Trust Plan for the future care of your child with a disability
WHAT OUR CLIENTS SAY
- "Teresi's listening and response skills are commendable as a counselor working with an aged population."Testimonials 1
- “I considered filling out a DIY kit from Staples at first, but I had no idea how much was involved. Weeks Law Firm gave me good advice on things besides just filling out a will. I’ve been apprehensive about lawyers in general, and everyone there made me realize my concerns were unfounded. I have already recommended you to my local Plano/Frisco friends.”Testimonial 2
- "Tresi is an excellent communicator, listened to us, explained the issues, and came up with a good plan for us."Testimonial 3
- "We had what I thought were some unique issues, but Tresi was very familiar with them and knew what to do. Tresi was great with us, understanding and sympathetic to our issues."Testimonial 4
- "You are the only lawyer I know and trust with the plans and distribution of all the funds of our life’s work."Testimonial 5
- "We appreciated that Tresi explained things so well and was patient until we understood everything."Testimonial 6
- "The Weeks Law Firm is a very nice and professional environment. We are so thankful Tresi helped us prepare our Wills so that our future will be protected."Testimonials 7
- "I was provided with the information that I needed but didn't know I should ask for. I knew Tresi was very knowledgeable and the staff helped me feel comfortable about the whole process. Tresi even gave me a hug when I left with my final documents!"Testimonials 8
- "Your Christian principles and faith-based approach definitely helped me in this important decision. Tresi Weeks is a great listener and very caring in her response."Testimonials 9
- "I was pleased with the outcome of my services from Weeks Law Firm.I felt like I did not have to go through a very trying time in my life alone. My attorney cared about me and my situation & communicated with me regularly and kept me updated. I would use Weeks Law Firm again in the future & would refer someone else to Weeks Law Firm."Testimonials 10
- If you want impersonal, adequate legal service, there are a lot of law firms to chose. If you want a firm that will become a part of your family and that you trust with your most intimate needs -- the Weeks Law firm is the only service to go with.Testimonial 11
- "When you are working with the dedicated professionals at the Weeks Law Firm to guide you through important legal and financial decisions and working with experienced educators at centers such as ours, you once again have that vital “team” which will advance your son or daughter to the next level."Testimonials 12